Sunday 11 September 2016

To uke or not to uke, that is the question...

A cottage is slowly emerging.  I agree that it has taken rather a long time, but that's because I have been a bit distracted,  and I shall reveal the new toy at the end.   The other reason is that it takes ages to paint this type of render,  it takes a few coats to get inbetween all the little stones.  Then you need to go back over the woodwork. So there is a bit of faffing, as I call it, a technical term you understand.  And as usual I've had appointments to go to, will this health stuff never end?   


Also the roof caused no end of problems.  I tried a few different methods,  before choosing the corrugated card strips.   I snipped inbetween each while they were still wet with the glue, so they settled down nicely.  Now I need to sort out how to do the finishing bits.    And not happy with the colour, so that needs work.   But at least some progress is being made. 








This is also a distraction.  If you have one then you will fully understand why it is impossible to sit and craft without interruption.   These are guaranteed to come and bother you the moment you sit down at your craft desk.   He's  been driving me potty all week.  He has decided he wants to eat the fishy Felix for the time being, but with the odd meaty sachet just to add some contrast.  Oh along with wanting pieces of my melton mowbray pie,  the bratwurst, and the cheese,  and the fresh chicken.  He thinks he is starved! 






So to my new toy...  a ukulele!   And why not?   Why you are asking, has she decided to buy a uke?    Well last Saturday I was watching the Travel Show on the BBC news programme.  They challenged one of the presenters to find a cheap night out in London, so she discovered a pub that has a ukulele night.  Her next challenge was to learn how to play a uke and join in.  She had two weeks,  and she did it.  Then I got it into my noggin that it would be nice to learn how to play a uke.  Not knowing how much they cost I had a look on the internet. I found one for just £16, with good reviews, all said it was fine for a beginner.  But I was still unsure, and I've not got money to fritter on whims.  Then I remembered my 'slummy' tin,  it is were I chuck my loose change, well some of it.  I'd been saving for a while, in fact I'd been meaning to take to the coinstar machine. Anyways, I counted it, and I had twenty quid,  so off to Argos I did go and got myself a uke.  I also purchased an electronic tuner, which has proved a Godsend, well how was I going to now how a C string should sound?   Actually there is an app, yep, an ukulele app tuner, but it wasn't as accurate as the dedicated tuner, which cost me the enormous sum of: a fiver.   So all week I've been practising.  On the first day it was all I could do to play one chord,  let alone change chords!   But now I can actually play four chords, and change between three of them, one is a bit more tricky, but I'm getting there.  So now I'm getting used to strumming patterns, and changing between two chords.   I wish to state that I am a TOTAL beginner,  never played a stringed instrument in my life.  But I am really enjoying myself, and I am making progress.  Harvey does give me strange looks, but at least he hasn't felt the urge to join in - yet.   If I do keep it up and, more importantly, actually learn to play it properly, then I'll get a better quality model.  But for the time being this little uke will do fine.   Tell me, what did we all do before YouTube?    I've found some really good tutorials on it, plus some free PDF files of chords.  Yes proper lessons would be nice, but they cost money.  

On Monday I had my first intensive counselling session.   No I didn't come away wrecked,  but it was a full on assessment that took nearly two hours, so I was a bit drained.  Monday was also the day when I went to buy my uke, a treat is a good thing after counselling, or so I've been told.  Not sure if it involves buying a musical instrument.   But I do love music, always have,  I watched the Last Night of the Proms last night,  and I've watched a few others from the Proms this year.   Last night was a bit emotional,  mum and I would always watch it together, she loved classical music.   My favourite symphony is The Planets, by Dvorak,  and yes, you will have heard bits of it on adverts.  Actually I must dig it out and have a listen. 

As for this week, well tomorrow I have to deal with some admin stuff first thing,  my housing association says I owe them rent, and I don't,  good thing I keep a record of all transactions!  Actually this rent thing isn't anything to do with me, just the slow pace of officialdom.  Even so, it is still worrying, and not good for my anxiety.  And also another counselling session, something enjoyable to look forward to at the end of the week is my art class. 

No idea when I'll be blogging again, depends on my back,  and the distractions...   Have a good week.

No comments:

Visitors